Are you looking to execute your New Year resolution of losing weight and becoming healthier? Have you tried all sorts of diets but it seems you are not getting results? Have you started a weight loss program and it seems you have not shed weight at all?
The answer may just be that you are not drinking enough water! Water does a lot for the body and it is imperative for you to know that water is important for weight loss and also know why it is important.
Very few people know that water is essential and it plays a very vital role in weight loss. Also, few people know that you are recommended to take at least eight (8) glasses of water in a day. Why? Because the rate at which calories are burnt is increased by 30% in both men and women. The increase occurs within 10 minutes of water consumption.
Other reasons why water is important for weight loss are:
- Aids digestion, absorption, and assimilation of food. Drinking enough water is essential so you can get the full benefit of nutrients in the food you eat.
- Aids excretion of waste from bowel and kidneys. Not drinking enough water would lead to constipation and put your kidneys under stress.
- Regulates body temperature. If you don’t drink enough water you compromise the evaporation process your skin uses to keep you cool.
- Water is your body’s transport system, it distributes nutrients around the body.
- Body secretions and digestive juices are almost entirely water.
So you have all that taken down but do you know where and how to start? We are one step ahead of you, here is an easy program that will help you drink more water daily if you follow it religiously.
- If you notice, when you wake up, you are usually thirsty because your body loses water while you are sleeping through breathing and perspiration. Drink a large glass of water with a slice of lemon for that zingy taste.
- Have another glass of water with your breakfast or drink a cup of herbal tea instead before setting off the day.
- You still need more water, snack on a piece of juicy fruit such as orange, tangerine, watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew in the Mid-morning. Have a glass of water and perhaps try a dash of herbal aloe juice that is wonderfully soothing to the digestive system.
- For lunch, you can have soup or have a glass of water before your meal, or perhaps an herbal tea.
- Mid afternoon, while you are cooking your evening meal, drink a glass of water and snack on some crunchy fresh vegetables.
- Just before your meal in the evening, sip a glass of water with a dash of your favorite fruit juice for flavor.
- Finally, after dinner, before bedtime drink your final glass of water and sleep well.
It really is that simple, drink 6-8 glasses of water daily and not just for weight loss but it is also good for the body in general. Please note that diuretics such as caffeinated drinks make the body lose water
So if you work out regularly, drinking the adequate amount of water is very important and if you are embarking on a weight loss program, it is also important that you hydrate regularly.